To the Editor:
One of the greatest jurists in American history, and a tireless crusader for social justice, Louis Brandeis, once spoke of the danger of the diminishment of liberty in small steps by those in power. “The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding,” stated Brandeis. I was reminded of Brandeis’ words while watching, in disappointment and indignation, the Village Board of Trustees meeting of September 20, 2010. While I offer no opinion on the subject of bowhunting of deer within the Village, I am categorically opposed to the Board’s blatant efforts to intimidate those who would speak out against the proposed law. The presence of an armed police officer next to the speaker’s podium, and the Board’s use of a large, red digital “countdown” clock to measure the “acceptable” participation of citizens are an affront to those who respect the freedom of the citizenry to petition their government for the redress of their grievances. Add to this the Board’s demonstrated unwillingness to answer the questions posed by members of the public during citizen participation at this and other Board meetings, and it is easy to see the loss of liberty being sustained by this community, one insidious encroachment at a time. This is unacceptable, and I urge the members of the Croton community to address this Board’s disdain for public opinion through their participation in the Village elections next March.
Roseann Schuyler
Croton on Hudson